Strawberry daiquiris, the not frozen variety since summer is over…however, I did make an amazing frozen strawberry daiquiri this summer using a favourite recipe from a friend…maybe I’ll have to share that one next…even if it is off season :)
I had some strawberry schnapps leftover from a sangria recipe this summer, so I turned the classic daiquiri into a classic strawberry daiquiri with minimal effort. Totally delicious and a fraction of the work of muddling fruit (plus I’m not crazy about the gritty texture of muddled fruit in a non-frozen drink). After a couple cocktails I got too confident in my lime juicing and stopped measuring… I quickly learned that you have to be cautious with the lime, it was easy to get too sour of a cocktail if you aren’t careful.
classic cocktails: strawberry daiquiri cocktail
The classic daiquiri calls for no ice in the glass, but I always have frozen strawberries in the freezer which worked out great for keeping the cocktail cool and adding a little true strawberry flavour.
- 4 oz. rum
- 2 oz. strawberry schnapps
- 2 oz. fresh lime juice (approx. 2 limes)
- 1 tsp. powdered sugar
- strawberries for garnish (frozen if you have them!)
- Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice, add all ingredients except for the frozen strawberries and shake vigorously
- Strain into martini glasses and garnish with frozen strawberries to keep it cool